Groundwater Scientist - Boulder, CO
S. S. Papadopulos & Associates, Inc. (SSP&A) is currently seeking a Groundwater Scientist for our Boulder, Colorado, office with 1 to 5 years of experience. The successful applicant will be well versed in quantitative hydrogeology and groundwater modeling and will possess technical expertise and advanced skill sets in one or more of the following areas: groundwater/surface water hydrology, hydrogeology, water resource evaluation, and contamination/remediation studies.
- Assist in the compilation and analysis of hydrologic, geologic and water use data to develop conceptual models of groundwater systems and changes resulting from land use, climate or other influences;
- Apply analytical models and water budget analysis to understand groundwater systems;
- Manage and manipulate large datasets of temporal and spatial data to support numerical groundwater model (e.g., MODFLOW) simulations;
- Refine modeling simulations through quantitative analysis of observed and simulated values, automated parameter estimation, and uncertainty evaluations.
- Compile and execute code to expedite operations between various software.
- Effectively communicate outcomes to project managers and senior principals.
- Provide other technical support activities, including field support for a broad range of water resource and environmental investigations.
- M.S., or Ph.D. degree in Hydrology, Hydrogeology, or Engineering or related field with strong quantitative skills.
- Solid understanding of fundamentals in physical hydrology (water budget components, dynamics and inter-relationships), applied math and statistics, flow in porous media, analytical solutions and finite difference methods; some coursework in geology and chemistry.
- Experience simulating hydrologic systems using MODFLOW in a professional or funded environment.
- Demonstrated ability to compile and manipulate datasets by developing/modifying coding in at least one of Fortran, C, Python, R, and the ability and interest to learn others.
- Experience working with ArcGIS spatial analysis tools, Access, PostgreSQL, or advanced Excel/VB capabilities a plus
- Field experience related to hydrologic investigations is also a plus.
To be accepted as an applicant for this position, please reply with subject “Groundwater Scientist” and submit your cover letter and resume attached to an email (email@example.com). Qualified candidates will be contacted by email and shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews. Please do not contact the Boulder office or other SSP&A employees by phone.